October 30

Is it worth appealing a Notice of Proposed Disqualification (NOPD)?

It’s not going to get any worse… You are currently disqualified… It can only get better. You have two chances to succeed. You could win at a re-interview at the NOPD Notice of Proposed Disqualification phase. It is always important to have all good mental health professionals and attorneys to help you, guide you and prepare you for any re-interview.

If you are unsuccessful you have an appeal to the New York City Civil Service Commission which holds hearings and may rule that your disqualification was improper. This is a second chance to win. Naysayers and critics can claim that no one ever wins, but this is not true. Recently candidates have had their disqualification reversed at a NOPD re-interview. Additionally, candidates have had their disqualifications reversed after hearings at the Civil Service Commission. But, your disqualification will not be reversed if you do not take action.

If you receive a NYPD NOPD psychological disqualification do not hesitate to call (516) 248-0040 or email kevin@sheerinlaw.com to schedule a free in office consultation.

My website: www.sheerinlaw.com

You can read the cases on my blog: Civilservice.sheerinlawlaw.com

You can call me toll-free: (888) 998-9984

October 29

Civil service job disqualification NYPD (psych disqualification) / FDNY (medical disqual)

When you receive a civil service job disqualification such as a NYPD psych disqualification and/or FDNY medical disqualification, it is crucial you meet with a civil service law attorney to discuss your case.

An attorney who is knowledgeable in the area will be able to describe the appeal process to you. The attorney will get your background history and the complete story of your application process, including any interaction you may have had with the hiring agency’s interviewers, and will discuss with you the best way to approach your appeal.

This is best done in person. During this meeting your attorney will review documents, as well as discuss your life, education, work history and any jobs you may have had. It is also good to discuss what happened during the application process, whether it be background, medical or psychological. After getting all the facts, you can then decide if you would like to act.

It is always best to communicate, get all the facts, discuss the strategy and decide if you would like to take action. Sometimes deferring to another test or looking at other jobs may be the best advice.

I have been helping civil service job candidates file their appeals for 18 years now. I also advise candidates when I feel their appeal may not be successful.

If you would like to schedule a free consultation at my Mineola office please do not hesitate to contact me at 516 248 0040.

Email me: kevin@sheerinlaw.com

You can visit my website www.sheerinlaw.com

Read my blog about Civil Service issues: civilservice.sheerinlaw.com

Facebook: Law_Office_of Kevin_P._Sheerin

Twitter: @DQLawyer

October 29

How to avoid a NYPD Character Disqualification

If you have been arrested you must check to see that the arrest appears on your APD5. Frequently, candidates give the excuse that someone told them that their arrest was sealed. This excuse will not work. If you have been arrested you must state that you were arrested, and when you were arrested, no matter what the disposition in your court case.

If you were suspended in school, you must say you were suspended in school. Your investigator and psychologist will ask for authorizations to find out about school disciplines, and when they get reports from your SUNY school or another college stating that you were suspended you will be disqualified, and will most likely be unable to have a successful appeal.

If you were terminated from a job, you should say you were terminated, because when the NYPD gets your Social Security lifetime history they will see what jobs you have had and have you explain why you were let go from certain jobs.

Unfortunately, if you do not reveal these things, you will be disqualified and will not be able to explain them away.

If you receive a NYPD NOPD for character disqualification and would like to schedule a free consultation at my Mineola office, please do not hesitate to call me at 516 248 0040.

Email me at kevin@sheerinlaw.com

Visit my website www.sheerinlaw.com

Read my blog civilservice.sheerinlaw.com

My Twitter is @dqlawyer.com