Salary and Benefits
NYPD Police Officers receive a substantial benefits package which includes paid vacation, paid sick leave, and retirement funds. In addition to the salary, further compensation includes longevity pay, holiday pay, and uniform allowance, along with opportunities for overtime.
The NYPD starting salary is $42,500.
The salary after 5 ½ years is $85,292.
When including holiday pay, longevity pay, uniform allowance, night differential and overtime, many police officers have the potential to earn over $100,000 per year.
- 27 Paid vacation days after 5 years of service
- Unlimited sick leave with full pay
- Selection of medical benefit packages
- Prescription, dental, and vision coverage
- Annuity fund
- Deferred Compensation Plan, 401K and I.R.A.
- Optional retirement at one half salary after 22 years of service
- Annual $12,000 Variable Supplement Fund (upon retirement)
- Excellent promotional opportunities
The NYPD offers promotional exams periodically for the ranks of Sergeant, Lieutenant, and Captain. Promotion to detective, as well as all ranks above Captain, are based upon merit. Each of these ranks afford members the opportunity to earn significantly higher salaries.
If you have questions or you have received a disqualification and would like to schedule a free consultation, please contact me at 516 248 0040.
Facebook: Law_Office_of Kevin_P._Sheerin
My podcast about New York State Civil Service Law issues is: www.newyorkcivilservicelawattorneypodcast.com