Steps to Becoming a NYPD Officer
- Meet the minimum qualifications for prospective officers.
- Take the New York City civil service exam.
- Complete an online application.
- Pass the medical exam.
- Complete the personal character assessment.
- Complete oral and written psychological assessments.
- Pass the physical abilities test.
- Appear for a pre-hire interview.
- Complete police academy training.
- Begin working as an officer with the NYPD.
Before applying to become an officer with the NYPD, candidates who meet the hiring prerequisites must first take the written civil service exam. Candidates who pass the civil service exam must next apply to the department. Eligible applicants will be contacted to complete medical and psychological screenings, a character investigation, a physical fitness test, and a pre-hire interview. Prospective recruits who perform well throughout these stages will be conditionally hired and invited to proceed to the final step, attending the New York City Police Academy.
If you have questions or you have received a NYPD disqualification and would like to schedule a free consultation, please contact me at 516 248 0040.
Facebook: Law_Office_of Kevin_P._Sheerin
My podcast about New York State Civil Service Law issues is: www.newyorkstatecivilservicelawattorneypodcast.com